Friday, June 13, 2014

Archbishop Carlson responds to sex abuse deposition controversy

Valerie Schremp Hahn
St. Louis Post Dispatch
June 13, 2014

ST. LOUIS • St. Louis Archbishop Robert J. Carlson issued a statement and video Friday about comments he made in a deposition last month about whether sexual abuse of children by priests was a crime.

“In the deposition last month, I misunderstood a series of questions that were presented to me,” he said. “I wish to clarify that situation now. I fully understand, and have understood for my entire adult life, as I stated in other sections of this same deposition, sexual abuse is a grave evil and a criminal offense.”

The reports of his comments during the deposition sparked outrage among some in the community and prompted a small protest outside the Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis on Wednesday.

“I understand this situation has caused concern and frustration for many people, and for that I apologize,” Carlson said. He encouraged anyone who had suffered abuse to contact police and the archdiocese.

Friday marked the third time in a week the archdiocese has offered responses to the statements offered by Carlson in the deposition.

.............

Carlson responded that he “did not remember” 193 times to questions posed to him during the deposition.

The controversy stemmed from the archbishop’s response to a line of questioning about his grasp of child sex abuse laws.

............

“Archbishop, you knew it was a crime for an adult to engage in sex with a kid?” Anderson asks.

“I’m not sure whether I knew it was a crime or not. I understand today it’s a crime,” Carlson replies.

read entire article at St. Louis Post Dispatch

No comments:

Post a Comment